2013-2017 Strategic Plan for the protection and enhancement of the natural landscape
The Municipality of the Township of Gore is known for the quality of its natural landscape. Apart from some specific areas that have experienced a significant residential development, much of the land remains in its natural state. Mountains, forests and wetlands offer residents of Gore an exceptional living environment.
Together, natural environments provide a multitude of goods and services to society. Whether through its procurement of goods, regulation services, quality of its landscapes and the sense of belonging they create among residents, a natural environment signifies a high socio- environmental value.
Nevertheless, several pressures on these areas threaten their integrity and their purpose, and thereby the goods and services they provide to the community. The challenges of managing natural environments are varied and deal with all the issues and stakeholders.
To address these management challenges, the Municipality of the Township of Gore will have, through this Strategic Plan, the means to achieve sustainable development targets it has set in terms of the protection and enhancement of the natural environment. Orientations, objectives and actions proposed in this Strategic Plan will enable the municipality as well as stakeholders to improve the conditions of the current situation of the community, while respecting the limits of the natural environment, to protect the quality of life and quality of the environment for present and future generations.
The Strategic Plan for the protection and enhancement of the natural environment are in place to achieve the desired situation on the aquatic environment:
- Protect the integrity of ecosystems and biodiversity conservation;
- Preserving the fragile environments and exceptional elements;
- Promote the development of green spaces through recreational activities, the interpretation of ecology and knowledge sharing.
The implementation strategy aims to achieve the following results:
- Achieve a level equivalent to 30% conservation of the territory of the municipality in protected natural areas;
- Achieve a level equivalent to 10% conservation of the territory of the municipality in protected wetlands;
- Maintain large areas of natural environments;
- Maintain a diversity of types of ecosystems and habitats;
- Reduce fragmentation in protected natural areas;
- Establish conservation corridors to create a network of protected natural areas;
- Establish a variety of recreational activities to enhance the natural environment;
- Establish informational, educational and interpretational programs regarding the natural environment.
Keeping in mind the major environmental targets, the strategy proposes a management framework based on the following objectives:
- Promote a comprehensive vision in analyzing situations, decision making and identification of solution;
- Coordinate the acquisition of knowledge between different stakeholders in the environment;
- Inform, educate and raise awareness among the stakeholders regarding natural environments, problems and their roles in conservation and enhancement;
- Develop and implement an effective regulatory framework;
- Consult the interests and concerns of community stakeholders to avoid conflicts and to establish a compromised use of natural environments.
Voluntary conservation and private stewardship program
The voluntary conservation and stewardship program is derived from the Strategic Plan for the protection and enhancement of the natural environment of the Municipality of the Township of Gore. It includes all actions focusing on voluntary conservation in private lands.
The program caters to owners of large land with a strong interest in the protection and enhancement of the natural attributes of their properties.
In this sense, the main objective of the program is to involve the owners of the Township of Gore in the preservation and enhancement of the natural environment on their property. The specific objectives of the program are:
- Acquire new knowledge about the components of the natural environment;
- Inform and educate homeowners facing the challenges of the natural environment and their role in its protection;
- Balancing the interests and practices of the owners with the objectives of preservation and enhancement of the natural environment.
As part of this program, the municipality offers its services to meet the owners, visit their property, discuss the attributes of interest in preservation and propose conservation options that meet the needs of everyone. The program also aims the signing of a custom conservation agreement between the owners and the municipality.